Monday, April 4, 2011

Story time

Story time in this household is a super important part of the day, at least to Tilly. I have also started telling stories to her without books, old fables such as The Three Little Pigs, or Little Red Riding Hood. That came about after Daddy read those stories to her from her Fable story book which is completely in Chinese. She sits glued to wherever she happens to be, watching me tell the story. All those years teaching English as a foreign language to children - I can be quite animated........ She is desperate for books and stories every day. This evening we read through all the Pamela Allen story books we have here. Black Dog is about a girl who has a pet dog and they live in a house together. She becomes preoccupied with the fantasy that a beautiful blue bird is flying through the woods one winter and is so preoccupied that she neglects herself and Black Dog in hopes of catching a glimpse of the imaginary bird. It tells of Black Dog's quest to win her back and bring her back into reality, which he does - though not without hurting himself in the process. She realises her deep love of Black Dog in the end..... But I digress.... Just at the first page Tilly asked why Christina and Black Dog didn't live with her mummy and daddy. I told her Christina was old enough to live by herself and take care of herself and Black Dog, using myself and her Nan & Pop as an example. I rightly or wrongly further explained that one day Tilly will also be grown up and won't live with mummy and daddy anymore. To which was the reply: 'No, no mummy. I won't be growing up.' And that for now is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment