Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Flapjacks



As a gift from Miss Heather, Tilly and Evie received an Usborne First Picture Cookbook, when she was here last. In it there is a nice recipe for Flapjacks. Something I had never heard of. However it's kind of similar to things we might have made when I was young. And Usborne is British, so the difference is small. Tilly and I made them yesterday, but tweeked the recipe. It called for much more butter and an equal amount of sugar, plus golden syrup. I left the sugar out completely by accident and increased the syrup a little. I fiddled with the recipe. And the end result was totally demolished by Tills. Ok, so I helped a bit. But she couldn't get enough of it. No flour. Just oats. I added apricots and shredded coconut. Cook in a slice tin and cut after it's gone hard in the fridge. I drizzled chocolate over it. Can be vegan'd as well. It is very delicious.


Tilly is really into reading cookbooks at the moment and very much into cooking. We cook something different everyday. Probably not great for my waistline. But it's one of my fondest memories growing up on the farm (that and looking after the animals). Mum teaching me how to cook. Eating her homecooked meals and baked goods. It's what I love to do when I go home and get the fire hot on the gorgeous Rayburn at mum and dad's. Ok, I leave the getting the fire hot to someone else...... Oh to have such an oven. That oven is nearly as big as my kitchen. Nevermind. We are in the process of making some great memories and Tilly is learning lots. This picture was not setup by me. She was really sitting there flicking through that French cookbook. She can already tell you the golden rule of the kitchen - what's the first rule of cooking Tills? Make sure your oven is hot mum. Haha. Extremely important if you're working with a wood oven not so much with a little electric convection. But I'm imparting age old wisdom here..... Sometimes she gets the golden rules mixed up and will say, Wash your hands. Also very important.

2 comments:

  1. The recipe:

    100gr butter or alternative
    4 tspn golden syrup
    melt and add
    1 cup of oats
    2 handfuls of chopped apricots
    1 big handful of shredded coconut
    Cook at 325F for 25 minutes.
    Cool and then refrigerate. Cut into squares

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I'll have to try it. Reminds me a little of baked oatmeal, but baked oatmeal used milk and eggs so I suppose not very similar at all. I would feed it to the kids for breakfast. I guess that's what Americans do, eat dessert for breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete